Old 25-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Janice

Default Is organic gardening viable?

On 25 Feb 2004 14:56:03 +1100, Ivan McDonagh
wrote:

Janice wrote in
:

The main thing wrong with using chemical fertilizers other than their
limiting factors, is they seemingly burn the organic matter from the
soil! Or maybe it's just that it doesn't add any, and it builds up
salts in the soil, which will soon ruin your soil. If there is lots
organic matter used, it buffers those salts, water etc.

As I understand it, and I'm willing to be corrected on this, factory
fertilisers cause faster degradation of humus by allowing a greater
quantity of plants to grow. More plants, of course, leads directly to
greater consumption of humus. The other factor, which is present regardless
of preferred fertiliser regime, is that of oxygenation. When we till the
soil we are introducing vastly increased amounts of oxygen and all the
little bugs 'n' stuff just go consumption crazy.

Regarding buildup of salts I understand this to be correct which is why
responsible use of fertilisers includes using lime.

Lime was always mentioned in the garden books.. which is totally
inappropriate for my part of the world, as the soils are already
alkaline. So, I figure each person should be aware of their soil PH
and treat it accordingly. Like I read somewhere that one should not
put Oak leaves in the compost bin, because they make it too acidic.
That made Me think I should actively seek out oak leaves as my soil is
alkaline, and in some areas, like where I'm trying to grow blueberries
in areas where all the soil was dug out and a sandy mix of soil and
peat moss was mixed and put back into the trenches. I could use some
compost that leans to the acidic for that area. It's all relative ;-)

Janice

I'm not sure that humus
does act as a buffer since it is pH neutral. It may allow a greater
distribution of the salts so that the effect isn't as immediately noticable
but an acid build up is unavoidable no matter what fertiliser is used.

If you need to use the chemical fertilizers, use LOTS of organic
matter too.

Yes, that is what my personal thoughts are and also the recommendation of
the book that started this whole thing.

Janice

Thanks,

Ivan.