Old 25-02-2004, 09:14 AM
JennyC

Default Flanders poppies

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in message
The message
from "Stuart Forbes" contains
these words:

Hi,

I bought a packet of Thompson and Morgan's Flanders Poppies, and I want to
try something special. I'll probably be going to a memorial service for
Remembrance Sunday in November, and I'll really like some fresh home-grown
cut poppies for the occasion. Is there any way I can get them to flower for
November? I have an unheated greenhouse, if this would help.

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi Stuart

Sorry, I think it's unlikely wild poppies will flower then, given the
low light levels in Edinburgh in mid November. Also, when you cut them,
the tissue-paper petals and thin stems are so fragile they wilt almost
immediately.

How about, growing the poppies in your garden this summer, harvest the
seed pods, and give away little packages of your seed for people to grow
the next year.Even people who don't have a garden could still scatter
their seed in a quiet corner of a park or layby. Everyone who sees those
flowers will also remember.

Janet.

Brilliant idea Janet !!

Here is a website that has donwloadable templates for 'make your own' seed
packets. They have a nice one for poppy's :~)

Jenny