Old 25-02-2004, 05:39 PM
jane

Default Acer palmatum 'Osakasuki'

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:35:19 -0000, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

~I have A. palmatum 'Osakasuki' in a pot currently, awaiting a more
~permanent planting position.
~
~I have read all sort of conflicting advice about this particular
~cultivar - keep it in semi shade vs full sun, grows to 3m vs 8m, etc.
~
~Could anyone give me an idea as to how big this tree will get in, say 10
~years? I live in Kent and the soil is a very fertile silty clay loam
~with pH 6.5 - 7.0.
~

I don't think it gets terribly big. I can't help on that, as I've got
mine in a pot of John Innes no 3. It's now about 3' high and about 5'
across after 4 years. It was about 20" high and 15" across (judging
from my photos) when I got it at a bargain £13.95. And a beautiful
shape too.

I can help on the aspect part. It is in full sun all summer, and shade
all winter because the sun doesn't get over the house They say
don't site in a windy area. Mine hasn't blown away yet, and it does
get a bit of a breeze from the wind tunnel between houses. And it
still keeps on growing fine.

The colours are superb. At bud break you'll get deep maroon fingers
which will gradually go greener in the middle, with always a red
tinge. Come autumn it is "in your face" scarlet-cerise.

I'm just hoping it survived last summer ok, given I had to water it a
*lot*.

--
jane

Mark Twain