Old 26-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Nick

Default Frogs b gone

Not that I am an expert, in fact I joined this news group hoping to learn
more about frogs and newts.
To try and help you with your query. I understand that frogs will return to
the pond in which they were spawned to breed (much like salmon) so if you
introduce tadpoles they may well leave your pond and try to return to where
they were spawned. If you want to encourage frogs to stay and breed in your
pond then you have to introduce the frogs spawn to your pond. However a
couple of things to be careful of, you should really only take spawn from a
pond which is overrun with spawn otherwise you may upset the balance in that
pool. You should not take from a pond in an area that has redleg disease
otherwise you will spread the disease.

For the last two years I have tried to introduce tadpoles, they have all
grown to frogs but once released I have rarely seen them again, except for
when the cats catch them and bring them into the house. This year I
introduced some frog spawn from a friends garden. I will keep you posted on
my success and or failure if any one is interested?

I don't know much about raccoons but generally speaking, they like peanuts,
sweets, fruits, bread and peanut butter but are also especially keen on cat
and dog food so they may also eat frogs.

Anyone with facts or advice on frog, toad or newt keeping please post here.
I am also curious to here an answer to the initial posting Frogs b gone
and the digging in the mud query.
Nick

wrote in message
gy.com...
On the subject of frogs, This is my 3rd year of having tadpoles & frogs in
my pond. The first year I had 2 frogs and I found one dead in the spring

the
next year I had 5 frogs in the fall and found none in the spring. Are they
being ate by the Raccoons? Are they just hopping off ? This last spring I
bought tadpoles and 4 turned into frogs and already I can't find any of
them. I heard they dig themselves into the mud for the winter. But the

pond
has a liner so are they coming out and digging holes elsewhere and just
dying?