Old 26-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Emrys Davies

Default 3 year Old Manure

'Julie',

The worse thing you can do it to use too much manure.

Simply spread the manure over the soil or around shrubs to a depth of
about 3". You can then dig or work it into the soil.

If placed around shrubs it will act as a mulch and the weather will deal
with it.

You could do that every year and gradually your soil will become more
fertile and certainly more pliable.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie