Old 26-02-2004, 02:26 AM
LanscpHort

Default A really tall sedum

Asclepias comes up in
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t%22+perennial

Kniphofia gets tall but none for zone 4 probably...
cow parsnips are big. angelica. maybe scan the apiaceae?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t%22+perennial

stenanthia (east n amer.)

thistle family

there are huge grasses and some sedges get big...

THE USE OF ORNAMENTAL GRASSES IN THE LANDSCAPE
.... The popularity of ornamental grasses gained momentum in the early 80's
when Wolfgang
Oehme and Jim van Sweden, two Washington DC landscape architects, began ...
sudan.cses.vt.edu/html/Turf/orngrass.htm

they use(d) a lot of tall wet plants

another wet lover:
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2197/

or
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...iscanthus+zone
though weedy
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plant...erennials.html
Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' (porcupine grass)
Many grasses are very easy to grow. This one has yellow and gold horizontal
bars on its leaves. Silvery plumes in fall, ornamental throughout winter;
grows up to 8 feet tall. USDA: 5 to 8/Sunset: all zones. Full sun. Propagate
by division. Caution: Miscanthus sinensis is beginning to turn up on
invasive plant lists in Northeastern and Middle Atlantic states

"Berberis fendleri"
probably conforming to the common overblown description of plants:
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/sh...dc fcf5757069

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 2/24/04 8:41 AM, in article MvI_b.380333$I06.4154991@attbi_s01, "Pam -
gardengal" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

I want TALL - 4 foot plus and some hint of four season interest -
interesting foliage, color, seed heads.

Cheryl, you are just not going to get a full 4 seasons of interest from

perennial, unless it is an evergreen one and I can't think of any that

would
reach the size you want. Certainly, some form of shrub could work for

you,
but I'd consider a late season tall growing perennial. Rudbeckia maxima

will
reach an impressive height and offers the same bright yellow coneflowers

and
seedheads into autumn and winter that its shorter cousin does.

Eupatorium
maculatum 'Gateway' is another good choce or any of the perennial

sunflowers
or Helenium. All are great in combination with grasses and enjoy the

same
conditions. All hardy to at least zone 4.

pam - gardengal

One of the reasons I was looking for something "sedum-like" was I truly

find
4 seasons of interest. In the spring, I love to see the "nest" of new

shoots
and the color of the early growth. ( I know I only see this while cleaning
up, but it is an important joy.)

What I want most is a fall and winter statement. Seed heads, foliage and
something out of the ordinary.

I grow all of the above in your list - I love the Rudbeckia maxima, but

not
for this spot. I have a "Chocolate" Eupatorium in the bed - it makes a

nice
transition down to the coral bells which are nearly evergreen.

I know there was Sedum "Indian Chief" on the market at one time - it was
billed at 45 inches tall, but every time I got it, never got that tall.

climate? soil?