Old 26-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Wayne

Default Palm Tree Question

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/ lists a few Palmettos in the
online catalog.

However, as another res-ponder mentioned, the roots could be a problem,
unless you contained the tree -- which might take some doing.

I almost think that I saw a dwarf palmetto of some sort around here in the
Raleigh area, but I can't remember where. It must have survived the
winters, though, or there wouldn't be much to remember!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know of a palm tree that will survive the winters in Zone

7A,
North Carolina. I'd like to plant one or two next to my pond in my back
yard. Thanks!

I have a pre-formed, 220 gallon, so I'm not sure if the roots would
penetrate it. However, I'm probably going to do, like many of you have
probably done, add another pond section. I will probably use my pre-form as
a pre-filter for the bigger pond that will be with a liner. I don't want to
plant a bad feature for my potential future pond. I have even thought of
outlining a potential palm tree with concrete, sunk 18-24 inches in the
ground around it. Any thoughts on this idea?