Old 26-02-2004, 09:53 AM
D Russell

Default 3 year Old Manure

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
I have access to a HUGE pile of 3 y/o manure.

Can I plant directly in this I am gonna take a pic and post it in this
thread in the am. It is quite dark and it smells only a little bit.

I would be putting it into raised beds and planting various veggies
among which are the standard Tomatoes...Beans (bush and climbing)
courgettes, cukes, dill. fennel, carrots and pumpkins to name a few.
If not how much soil (or whatever should I add to make it better....

This is my first year doing a "real garden"...last year I got the
Notion way to late....veggies grew but did not mature before seasons
end.:-(

Be kind to the foolish one..:-)

Cheers
Julie
N.Ire

I would have thought you'd be better off incorporating this manure in some
topsoil, just to spread the load a bit. Alternatively, you could pile a
couple of inches of topsoil on the heap and plant into that.

Just not sure I'd be happy planting directly into a manure heap, even if it
is 3 years old. I'd want to dig it over, or dig it in somewhere. Mix it with
me compost heaps etc. Build raised beds with this and topsoil/compost.

Duncan