Old 26-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default grubs

The message
from "Sarah" contains these words:

ok, got it, its a baddie. I did squish it and leave it for any passing birds
so that was ok.
But i am a bit worried i have an infestation. It is a new allotment and have
no idea how bad these grubs might be.
How long vine weevil grubs get to be? Even with my poor sense of space i can
confidently say this was much longer than 6mm.
What is a chafer? And is there anything i can do about these grubs?

If it's what I think it is, it's some sort of scarab, maybe one of the
chafers and very common. Don't worry. If you come across one, feed it to
the birds.

I don't expect you'll have 'an infestation' - expect to find one every
two or three spits. I guess they live on grass roots, so if you deprive
them of grass, they *MIGHT* turn their attention to vegetable roots, but
I doubt it. (Unless you grow sweetcorn, of course.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/