Old 26-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] moss spores?

Good Morning Folks,

the trick is find moss growing in similar conditions to
your trees.In my case I needed a moss that handled
light shade and not too much water.

The light shade comes from the canopy of the Bonsai/
Penjing.All of my early attempts failed,because none of
my trees had proper canopies.

Later when I did find 3 different mosses,which I call
lawn type,bushy type and unmanageable type,it took a
little while to learn how to grow them.

The Japanese suggest a fine layer of soil over the surface
for the moss to hold/survive on.

Since I still use compost/manure in my mixes I didn't need
the above.

However,I did have to learn to go around [depending on
speed of coverage by the moss - lawn type],to pull out
American quarter [25 cents] sized pieces or I would
begin a slime growth or die-back.

Now the lawn type is every where and has to be toothbrushed
off of the bark of the trees.

At repotting time I lift off the sheet type covering,flatten it and
tear it into pieces,replacing American quarter sized pieces
here and there.Less usually works better.

Then there are the birds.......
Each tree of Bonsai/Penjing quality has a sheet of fibreglass
mosquito screen over the surface to stop a certain very small
blue-black with white spots little hopper who loves to rake the
"lawns".Guess it's the possibility of worms??
Hopes this helps.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]