Old 26-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Frogleg

Default Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:25:38 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

I take it that fly-tipping is what we call 'illegal dumping', but
don't you have rubbish collection?

Yes it is what you call illegal dumping, but the situation in UK is very
inconsistent. Different councils have their own policy about what can or
cannot be collected with the weekly (in my area) domestic waste collection,
which may be by means of bin bags, wheely bins or bulk bins which are often
used for block of flats (apts).

I just looked up images of "wheely bins" and they look pretty much the
same ('though mine are a bit shorter and fatter) as my waste bins. But
still, why would anyone load a bin into their car/truck to dump on
another's property? Our trash pickup was a 'free' part of municipal
services until 10-15 yrs ago. When they changed, there was a lot of
discussion about charging for licensed rubbish bags and/or levying a
per-bag charge. The problem of fly-tipping was a very real
expectation. However, the bins and flat-rate fee pretty much took care
of that. I can understand dumping a sofa clandestinely, but lawn
clippings?!