Old 26-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Heather

Default Plants arrived today....

Hi all

In an effort to get something growing early in my otherwise rather plantless
(new) garden I ordered some perennials ten days ago expecting delivery in
March. Typically they arrived today - there's about two inches of snow down
as I write and the ground is most definitely not suitable for planting!

Some of the plants have well-formed rootballs and are in hinged plastic
trays that split in two to get the plants out. Some, which are really just
a clump of roots with a few shoots are in a clear plastic bag with damp soil
(hemerocallis) and some are wrapped in plastic with a tiny bit of soil
(hostas).

I've put them all outside - the instructions that came with them said don't
put them in a dry or heated area as they will dry out too much. I've
unwrapped the plastic wrapped ones and put them in an unheated shed to keep
the snow off the roots.

The snow and freezing temps are forecast to continue into the weekend and
obviously I can't plant while the soil is frozen anyway. Any suggestions
would be welcome - should I plant the hemerocallis and hostas in a couple of
big pots just to get their roots into something??

Heather
in Wiltshire - a wonderland of white for the moment.

--

Spamtrap in operation. To reply to me direct Remove the obvious bit. To
save yourself the trouble, reply to the Group.