Old 26-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Kay Easton

Default Plants arrived today....

In article , Heather groups@REM
OVETHISBITheatherspad.demon.co.uk writes
The snow and freezing temps are forecast to continue into the weekend and
obviously I can't plant while the soil is frozen anyway. Any suggestions
would be welcome - should I plant the hemerocallis and hostas in a couple of
big pots just to get their roots into something??

Yes

Doesn't need to be a very big pot - you don't need room for them to
grow. Just enough soil to keep their roots moist.

I would keep them outside - they'll appreciate the light. But you might
want to tuck them into the shed or somewhere sheltered if the
temperature is going to be below zero for more than 24 hours - it's not
the cold that will kill them so much as the lack of available water when
everything's frozen, and the pots will freeze more readily than the
ground. My daffodils in tubs were very unhappy this morning, all keeled
over and floppy, but by this afternoon with the sun on the tubs and
warming them, the daffodils had stiffened up again nicely.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: