Old 27-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Dunter Powries

Default Surface turbulance in a planted non CO2 inject tank, good or bad?

Harry Muscle wrote in message
"Andrew Roberts" wrote in message
. ..
Harry Muscle wrote:
Harry, if you are using Excel for a carbon source, I wouldn't worry

too
much about surface turbulence. We're talking normal HOB filter
turbulence, and not Jacuzzi jets, right?

I was thinking air bubbles, my wife likes the look of them.

I've got a tank with an air driven sponge filter that I u cel on
(when i remember to add it) and crypts, anubias, bacopa and najas all do
fine. Growth isn't explosive, but I do see benefits from the excel.

Just for curiosity's sake, anybody know what the answer would be if I were
not using flourish excel?

Well, all things being equal, the CO2 levels in the water over time will
tend toward equilibrium with the CO2 levels in the atmosphere. In order to
answer your question, you need to know whether CO2 production in your
aquarium exceeds ambient CO2 levels outside your aquarium. So, the
unscientific answer is that, unless you have an awful lot of fish and an
especially shortened period of photosynthesis, more CO2 is *probably* being
adsorbed into the tank than is being expired out.