Old 27-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Chris French

Default 1st CFV : Create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.gardening.allotments

In message , Gary Poston
writes
Hi urg

Hi Gary, glad to see you deigned to join us.

What will I gain with reference to a proposed newsgroup urga?

My interest is more what would I other posters and urg gain TBH.

Well, What I will gain (and others) is bringing people together that rent or
even own Allotments This might include, crop rotation, raised bed issues,
local meetings, Club AGM's ECT, ECT... Will we discuss Fruit trees? or when
to plant tomato plants? Well, Yes, Sometimes, but isn't that what urg
newsgroup is for? I don't want to take that away from an excellent
gardening newsgroup such as urg, but there are other discussions and issues
that can be held in urga.

All of the above, plus any other discussions you want are welcome in urg
anyway. I remain unconvinced (not that you have done much to try and
convince anyone) that there is a real demand for this group. Urg is not
swamped by allotment specific questions, most of the discussion would be
about the growing of plants etc, or other items of a general 'kitchen
garden' nature anyway - which are not really in anyway specific to
allotments - effectively splitting the place to discuss veg questions
over two groups.

While lack of contribution in the past to urg should not in itself be a
reason to object necessarily, this along with the failure to raise the
issue first in urg for 'informal' discussion probably does not dispose
some people towards you and your proposition

If it encourages new Allotment holders, SO BE IT!.

I doubt it would make any difference.

Who gives someone the right to object to such a group when it can benefit
all of us?

We all have the right to vote as we see fit, for whatever reasons we
wish. however, I would dispute the claim that it would benefit all of us
anyway.

I've yet to vote (I've just picked up on the CFV) but I'm minded to vote
no.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: