Old 27-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Thes

Default found a mouse in my loft!

martin wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:42:44 +0000, Jack Hammer
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:37:15 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jack Hammer" wrote in message

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:47:21 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jack Hammer" wrote in message
om...

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:14:03 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:10:32 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message

. uk...

Warfarin-based poisons are not particularly unpleasant. The victims

just

get weaker and weaker and lapse into a coma.

The Warfarin tends to prevent the blood clotting, and the passage

of

food down the gut abrades the villi (a design feature to allow

nutrients

to be absorbed through the walls of the blood vessels) and the

animal

loses blood internally, and weakens and dies. There is no pain

involved.

How do you know?

because it's used in humans as an anti clotting agent.

The village idiot mentality is astounding!

That sounds like the voice of experience.

Using a substance medicinally is not the same as using it to kill. If you
fed enough Warfarin to a human to kill him would it cause pain?

Yes. It is a slow and agonizing death, rat or man would bleed to death
from the inside. The fact that very minute doses of poison are used
very successfully in medicine has nothing to do with it's use to kill
something.

Somebody said, "There is no pain involved." and I asked how that waas known.
It seems now that there IS pain involved.

Precisely.

Now who's the idiot?

The one who thinks there is no pain involved because grandad uses it
to ease a heart condition!

Both my granddads have been dead for decades, I said it caused no pain
because when I googled for the symptoms of warfarin poisoning there is
no mention of pain. Why let facts ruin a good argument, when it's so
much easier to call somebody an idiot.

Taking your advice led me to this, from the Inchem Chemical Safety pages:

4.4.1 Early symptoms of poisoning - Acute poisoning from a single dose
of warfarin is unlikely. On repeated exposure symptoms may
occur from the sixth or seventh day and include back and
abdominal pain followed by vomiting, nose and gum bleeding,
massive bruising and haematoma fomation.

I guess the fact that one source did not mention pain doesn't mean there
is none. But who knows, perhaps this info is wrong too!