Old 27-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Victoria Clare

Default grubs

Paul Simonite wrote in
:

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

Water the entire allotment every 10 days with a solution of
Armillotox
that will kill any unripened vine weevil eggs and a lot of other
nasties too

The problem with chemicals is that they kill indescriminately.
Armillotox is a great garden soil steriliser but it does exactly that
- kills everything. Remember, soil sterilizers are poisons and can
harm humans and animals as well as soil pests. IMO sterilizers should
only be used as a last resort.

I find my robins are enormously effective against vine weevil. I found a
whole lot of grubs in a pot the other day, so I emptied out the compost and
spread it thinly in a spot where I'd already mulched with some newspapers
(so at least they couldn't quickly burrow away).

I was bit worried that this was rash, but Mr & Mrs Robin were up there in
no time - I went back for a second look 20 minutes later, and found just a
couple of grubs left hidden under the compost,so I gave it another poke
with my fork to expose them and let the robins go to it.

I am now followed by a hopeful 2-robin anti-weevil team wherever I go in
the garden.

Victoria