Old 27-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Frogleg

Default Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:04:19 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Frogleg wrote

I can understand dumping a sofa clandestinely, but lawn
clippings?!

Our dustbin men won't collect grass cuttings. If you don't want to compost
them, you have to take them to a refuse place yourself, and the nearest one
is quite a way away.

We are in a fairly rural area, and waste services are minimal - no
recycling collections, and you have to carry your bin bags out to a
collection point rather than the dustmen visiting each house.

We don't get bins provided either.

Ah. The light dawns. I'm sure there are many different arrangements.
My city's services are very generous, considering. The Big Trucks
will pick up even things like old rolls of carpet on Garbage Day.
About the only things that must be gotten rid of independently are
construction waste and various things like paint and oil and garden
chemicals. We put the wheely bins out at the curb, and they're
collected by 1-man trucks with automatic grabbing arms, rather than
individuals who empty bins or collect bags. The only non-mechanical
operation is collection of bagged lawn waste, where a couple of people
slit the bags and empty contents into the truck. The city next to
mine allows raking leaves to the edge of the road at certain times to
be swept/vacuumed up by special equipment. That city offers compost
and mulch for sale.