Old 27-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Ka30P

Default Bog garden

A bog in nature is fairly quiet. The water stays there and turns acid from the
rotting plants which the bog plants love.

A marsh works to filter the water, it gets 'cleaned' as it works its way down.

The problem with nature's ponds and bogs and marshes is that they are made to
fill in. This recycling makes for nice fertile soil.

I would build your bog/plant filter with a mind to keeping it from clogging up
and filling up with plants.

Believe me I have lots of experience with this problem. Bog one filled in with
plants and the water that I was decanting into it started backing up and
heading the wrong direction.

Bog two, which is free standing and not a filter is filling up with plants too
and they are darn hard to weed.

Were I to do this all again I would build a plant filter with an eye to
maintenance with bottom drains, plant baskets full of pea gravel (I think),
yearly plant dividing and getting that gravel cleaned out.

My best plant filter is the raft of water hyacinths that I float in the top of
my 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that is hidden at the back of my waterfall.
The water goes out over a wide waterfall that grows in with grasses and
watercress and needs to be weeded 2 to 3 times a year.

kathy :-)