Old 27-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default strawberry help!

"NAearthMOM" wrote:

Hi! I would love to hear from someone that does well with strawberry
plants. Mine NEVER make more than a few berries.

Strawberries will tolerate quite poor soils. In the wild they are a
pioneer plant and will grow in places where other plants won't grow.
They will not tolerate competition with weeds. They will not set
flowers unless they get lots of sun. They will not grow large berries
unless they get good moisture. They are frequently grown on raised
ridges of soil so the berries don't rest on the ground and rot. An old
plant will do better if it is divided and transplanted into less crowded
conditions.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman