Old 27-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Ken Oaf

Default Wilting Camellias and Magnolias

On 25 Feb 2004 13:49:27 -0800, (Han Chung) wrote:

I had 6 Camellias to start with, all only about 10cm tall, two have
since died. I think the first one was due to a lack of water, but the
second died despite me watering it with a hose every other day.
Perhaps I didn't water it deeply enough.

You are lucky to still have 4 left. I have found that camellias as young as
that have a greater than 75% mortality rate if planted in the ground. The
nursery who sold them to you should not have done so.

If you buy 3 year old plants (75cm or so high), the mortality rate drops to less
than 10%