Old 28-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Ka30P

Default Bog Garden: Episode II

Jim wrote Someone talk to us about mosquitos and bogs.

And cabbages and kings... ;-)

If a bog has standing water in it, all the time or
part of the time, the ponder (bogger?) should use one of the mosquito dunk
products.
For my bog I use the mosquito dunk product that comes in grandular form, ground
up pieces, like ground beef in size. I toss it around the bog so it will get
into all parts, especially those areas that might be isolated from the rest of
the bog due to rocks or plants.
Here is a technical writeup of the stuff
Mosquito Dunks

Target Pests: Mosquitoes, black fly larvae
*Place Mosquito Dunks in ponds or standing water and it's active ingredient,
Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israaelenses called BTI kills mosquito and
black fly larvae for 30 days or more. While floating they slowly release a long
term biological mosquito larvacide killing the larvae before they hatch into
adults. Will not effect fish, plants, people or wildlife. Alternative wetting
and drying will not reduce it's effectiveness. Use one dunk per 100 sqft of
water surface.
6 Dunks per pack $8.25

kathy :-)