Old 28-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Club Show

In regard to enhancing a public bonsai exhibit:

I know you won't forget to display a few regionally-collected suiseki...

I liked all of Chris's ideas, particularly since they will suit people of different temperments. My problem with show'n'demo productions is that they attract macho, competitive extroverts more than shy contemplative introverts (I'm exaggerating, but you k
now what I mean). Not everyone wants to show a plant or use a chainsaw.

Every year the local Long Island bonsai nursery (Jui-San Bonsai) would have an open house with free food. Every newcomer would be given a [pretty lame] potensai; the owner of the nursery would look at newbie trees and give advice, restyle, or whatever the
newbie wanted him to do, while everyone else watched. People could wander around the nursery and look at the finished bonsai, the suiseki, and the stock for sale. It was a nice afternoon for participants at all levels and all temperaments. The only pro
blem was getting people who had never thought of doing bonsai to attend, and the free food and the free tree took care of that.

You could also get a master gardener (or someone like me) to sit at a table and give plant care advice- not necessarily bonsai care advice, just plant care advice. That would attract people who like plants but may never have considered bonsai.

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++