Old 28-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Sacha

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes?

Sharon28/2/04 2:10
snip
Then there is the question of whether other wildlife is being deterred. I
can't prove the foxes are the reason for the decline in bird numbers. We
still get lots of tits, but ground-feeding birds are rarely seen in our
garden anymore.

Finally, they make a lot of noise at night. I work particularly odd and
long hours, and sleep is precious. I would have thought by now I would be
desensitised to their screaming, but I'm not.

Some time last year there were reports that an animal sanctuary that was
taking in foxes was having a major row with its supporters because it was
considering bringing in marksmen to shoot foxes. Whether they ever did or
not, I don't remember reading but like you, they had found that a lot of
ground nesting and feeding birds were fast disappearing to the foxes.
I think you've done everything you reasonably can to deter the foxes in a
kind manner but I'm not sure the dog is your answer if the foxes have mange.
A farmer in the village where I used to live told me that some well-meaning
but misguided 'townies' had been capturing urban foxes and releasing them
into the wild; the urban foxes had given mange to their country cousins and
to some local sheepdogs, pet dogs, gundogs etc. Of course, it's treatable
but it's very uncomfortable for the dog in the meantime and it's something
your neighbours would have to be aware of.
The only real predator foxes have is man so unless you do something like
allowing this dog into your garden, nothing else is going to make the foxes
go away.
As somebody has said up-thread, talking it over with your neighbours and
having a 'get out' clause is a good idea. Apart from the possible mange
problem, the only downside I can see for you is the risk of dog mess in your
garden and an exuberant dog doing some plant damage. However, it sounds as
if it could hardly be as bad as what you are suffering now, so if you and
the neighbours can agree a trial run, I'd say go for it.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)