Old 28-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Some time last year there were reports that an animal sanctuary that was
taking in foxes was having a major row with its supporters because it was
considering bringing in marksmen to shoot foxes. Whether they ever did or
not, I don't remember reading but like you, they had found that a lot of
ground nesting and feeding birds were fast disappearing to the foxes.
I think you've done everything you reasonably can to deter the foxes in a
kind manner but I'm not sure the dog is your answer if the foxes have mange.
A farmer in the village where I used to live told me that some well-meaning
but misguided 'townies' had been capturing urban foxes and releasing them
into the wild; the urban foxes had given mange to their country cousins and
to some local sheepdogs, pet dogs, gundogs etc. Of course, it's treatable
but it's very uncomfortable for the dog in the meantime and it's something
your neighbours would have to be aware of.

Add to that the inability of urban foxes to hunt in the wild, so they
slowly starve to death. It is against the law to release foxes into the
wild.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/