Old 28-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Lee's

Default No blooms on pear trees after 5 years

I thought pear tree branches were supposed to be more vertical? Not
horizontal. There isn't more than an inch or two horizontal currently. How
do you suggest I train these vertical branches?

Eric
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Lee's wrote:

I have a couple pear trees that I purchased from nursery/rootstock 5 and

6
years ago. The oldest was one of those 5-in-1 grafted trees, the other

Duchess. Both trees are fairly healthy (glossy leaves), and grow a

little
bit each year.

My concern is that I have never seen a blossom/fruit yet. Nearby apple
trees started producing 2-3 year after planting. I have pruned them

back in
the past, but have not touched either one the last couple years.

Suggestions?

Eric

If they were full-sized pear trees, they can take 10 years to start
blooming :-( A semi-dwarf apple can bloom in just 2 or 3 years.

Are the branches growing straight up like on a poplar tree? You need to
train the branches more close to horizontal. The branches that make a 45
degree (or more) crotch and bend down close to horizontal will be much
stronger *and* bloom earlier. [I wish I had known this when I lived in
Texas and had a few standard pear trees]

Best regards,
Bob