Old 29-02-2004, 04:33 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Treated wood

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
Last year I followed a header that dealt with treated wood being used

in
raised gardens. I became quite concerned when it was mentioned that
arsenic could leach out into the soil from treated lumber.

I've just replaced all my raised garden lumber with 'trek' lumber - a
plastic/wood product. I'm still very concerned about the arsenic

problem
though.

Will the arsenic leech out of the soil eventually or should I replace

the
soil around the raised lumber? I'm hoping to plant root vegetables

next to
the raised lumber....but I'm thinking that arsenic remains in the

soil.

The treated lumber was in place for three years...

Does anybody have any advice, experience about this problem?

ANY comments would be very much appreciated. I'm a 'little' worried

right
now as Spring-time planting is beginning here around Vancouver -

Thanks in advance..

Mark Thompson

If you're concerned about it, dig up a few small samples of soil and
send them to a lab. While you're at it, dig a sample from some place
that wasn't anywhere near the lumber. See if there is a difference.

In reality, though, the stuff that they put into the wood is designed to
stay there. If it leaches out, it won't protect the wood like it
should. Pressure treated lumber is generally guaranteed to last for
twenty years if buried. If the heavy metals tended to leach out, there
is no way the wood would last that long.

Still, get the tests done and let us know what you found :-)

Ray