Old 29-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Franz Heymann

Default grubs

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:42:48 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Sue da Nimm27/2/04 4:59
snip

We've got three pairs sharing our plot which is about 320ft long by

120ft
wide, with a hedge border and a copse beyond.
They have clearly defined territories, with one pair regularly coming

the
kitchen windowsill for tidbits.
The male in the "copse-end" pair is very distinctive because he is

mottled
white. (Melanistic?)
We have seen three together on occasions - probably offspring rather

than
pairs mingling.

We have several in different parts of the Nursery and garden - you can

see
them together but apart, as it were. But the blackbirds! They're as

bad
or
worse than robins. One gets inside a glasshouse and one is outside and

they
go at each other hammer and tongs against the glass. The other day, I

saw
two trying to kill each other, I swear and I clapped my hands so that

both
flew off, overturning a 1l. pot of Euphorbia as they went. Those

critters
are vicious and we have a lot of them!

My male blackbird follows me into the garage (where I keep my birdseed)
every time I open the door. He now eats sunflower seeds from my hand.

If your blackbird becomes too tame, watch out for cats!

I know. It's a bind. There are 6 cats in the vicinity and my garden is
their stamping ground. I keep trying to maim them with my catapult, but my
aim is not good enough.

Jackdaws are probably our most intelligent birds, they always feed in
pairs, one keeps a look out, whilst the other eats.

They are also the most voracious birds known to man. Whenever I hang up a
fatty cake for the birds, the jackdaws polish it off in quarter of an hour.
(I love them, even though they are expensive friends)

Franz