Old 29-02-2004, 12:07 PM
jane

Default Hibiscus

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:04:22 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

~On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:20:56 GMT, Lois
wrote:
~
~I recently bought a Hibiscus Bluebird which is in a pot and has been in
~and out of the shed as the weather allowed.
~
~Can anyone advise when I can plant out as it is supposed to be a hardy
~plant?
~
~I have a hibiscus "Bluebird". I kept it in a pot, with no winter
~protection, for several years and about 3 years ago planted it out in
~the garden in Spring. It's doing fine!
~I would not plant yours out yet. Having had some protection it would
~be best to harden it off and plant from May onwards depending on last
~frosts in your area.
~
I'd wait with planting for now - end of March may be more clement
weather. I planted mine in an unfrozen period in January a few years
ago and it was able to acclimatise easily. I agree with Pam - since
you've kept it indoors it will need hardening off.

There is one thing you need to know with hibiscus - they do not start
to grow leaves until late on, sometimes even June. Luckily I heard
this on BBC GW the year I bought one, and so didn't panic when the
twig I planted still looked like a twig when everything else was up
and off in May. It grew, and is now a quite decent bush. Though I did
cheat and plant it opposite the neighbour's central heating vent so it
never quite freezes as much!

--
jane

Mark Twain