Old 29-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Bonnie

Default Bio-filter startup time?

O3raledale wrote:
Hello All,
Last winter I took the advice of the wise ones here at Rec ponds and shut down
my waterfalls and bio-filter. (Phila. Pa. area) I then installed an air pump
with two airstones blowing air into the pond all winter. Well it worked very
well and the little fishies are still alive and swimming all around the pond.
Question is when is it safe to set the bio-filter back up and get the falls and
stream flowing again? And what other precautions should I take when doing so?
Thanks for all of your help,
-Pat Rolland

The bio bugs don't start until the water warms up. I think
the earliest I started was around mid April. You're a
little south of me and I think early April would be the
earliest you could start. Remember we can still get bad
weather.

--
Bonnie
NJ