Old 29-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Ka30P

Default Bog garden

Rich wrote
Any suggestions on the idea of draining the bog for the winter?

If I were to do it all over again ;-)
I'd build the thing above ground and run it as a plant filter. I'd build
several bottom drains into it and have it set up to have a hose or some kind of
way to drain it off into flower beds, the base of shrubs or trees.

Our bog is set up as a place for aquatic insects (mosquitoes need not apply)
and frogs to breed.
We don't drain our bog.
I let the aquatic insect larvae hang out over the winter in the muck ;-)
The tree frogs overwinter in leaf litter and other such places.
This fall I sent the two teenage boys into the bog and they tried to weed as
many plants out of it as they could get.
Parrots feather and penneywort were the worst offenders.
This spring I'll try and get as many leaves out
as I can before the frogs show up.

kathy :-)