Old 29-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Slope or flat?

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:34:40 -0000, "david taylor"
wrote:

In the northern hemisphere the few extra degrees sloping to the south

is
worth a lot in winter. Where we are in Devon the sun is about 16.5

degrees
above the horizon on 21st December, in Newcastle it would be about 10
degrees an so on. 6 degrees slope makes quite a differnce to the

incident
energy on a South facing slope-60% ish per sq.m in Newcastle.

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat

one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or

about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is

about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know

what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other

things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

In the northern hemisphere the few extra degrees sloping to the south

is
worth a lot in winter. Where we are in Devon the sun is about 16.5

degrees
above the horizon on 21st December, in Newcastle it would be about 10
degrees an so on. 6 degrees slope makes quite a difference to the

incident
energy on a South facing slope-60% ish per sq.m in Newcastle.

Franz Heymann will calculate the difference and report back.

If the sun sits at 10 deg above the horizon, then
The (intensity on a horizontal plot) / (intensity on a plot sloping 6 deg
towards the sun) will be approximately 1.6, making the usual small angle
approximations, so David's estimate is good.

It should be easy for any of you to see that I quoted the reciprocal of the
ratio {:-((

Franz