Old 29-02-2004, 11:48 PM
nambucca

Default Laurel Hedge problem

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a laurel hedge in front of my house (north facing). Its about 4
ft tall in a narrow soil border in between the outside path and my
gravel car park. The soil its in is about 2 ft in diameter border but
I find it impossible to weed as there seem to be masses of roots near
the surface and the soil seems quite hard / compacked.

Are these part of the laurel bushes?

Is there anything I should do with it?

I cliped it last year as it looked uneven and not its all the same
height.

Should I feed it with anything or add more / better soil?

Thanks

Laurels seem to have a mat of fibrous roots fairly close to the surface and
are very greedy feeders
Also you cant use hedge trimmers on laurel if you want a really good
appearance you need to cut with secateurs