Old 01-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Lilacs and Rhododendrons

ojunk (JCMumsie) wrote:

I didn't prune in the Fall this year - is it OK to do any pruning in the
Spring? I'm in Central Connecticut.

rhododendon and azaleas. Do not prune until after they bloom if you
want any flowers. The flower buds were formed last fall. If you don't
want to loose flowers, prune between the time they finish blooming and
mid summer. The plants can tolerate pruning most any time that they are
healthy, so the pruning time is determined by the time of bloom.

Lilacs have a similar pattern. However, when pruning lilacs, you
frequently are cutting out old wood, so pruning before blooming can be
good if you are just cutting out old wood. It will leave more strength
in the new wood that you are leaving behind.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman