Old 01-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Rabbits, chewing, and planting saplings

Chris Wilson wrote in
:

Beyond that,
loathe as I am to say it, get a guy in with a shotgun.

I AM a guy with a shotgun, but I am sick of rabbit pie and staying up
all night hunting the things. I don't even like killing them, so would
prefer to protect the trees rather than annihilate all the rabbits
I probably really mean I am a *rap shot, and too sentimental about
bunnies...

If they are resorting to eating mature leylandii bark, there are too many
bunnies, and you are doing the remaining ones a favour by taking the
population down. (I don't think the annihilation is really possible - at
least not just with a gun).

Shooting may be unpleasant, but myxomatosis is worse, and is more likely in
an overcrowded warren. Maybe some snares? Also nasty - and I'm not sure I
could myself - but supposedly quite quick.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall