Old 01-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Slope or flat?

"nambucca" wrote in
:

If your garden slopes then rain is going to slope downhill too and the
higher bit will drain and dry out much quicker so is likely to be a
nightmare to keep planted/grassed etc especially if we continue to get
hot summers

i would opt for a flat garden anytime

My sloping garden doesn't see this effect. It drains consistently
throughout and the water runs away further down the hill. It certainly
isn't particularly dry.

Although it is quite steep, I haven't seen the 'rolling down the hill'
factor either. I edge each of my beds on the downhill side with a bit of a
lip, and this catches any mulch that decides to go a-wandering.

I would go for the sloping garden for the view and the extra sun, if the
slope is not too steep, and you have no special reason for wanting the
whole thing flat (eg kids with balls, wheelchairs etc).

Builders are usually pretty terrible about sorting out topsoil on new
estates, so you will probably have to do a fair bit to restore it
whichever. The sloping garden is perhaps a bit less likely to have an
entire brick-heap buried under it.

Victoria