Old 01-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Janet

Default Did the fish survive the winter..

I was totally stunned to see mine swimming around yesterday here in Niagara
Falls! We had an "incident" during that arctic air mass that settled in over
January. Ponds and stream were doing fine then overnight one of the hoses
blew off the pump resulting in 2 very frozen ponds the next morning. We
couldn't get the lines thawed before we got that dumping of snow. To add to
the "incident", it looked like all the water disappeared a couple of days
later (probably due to the 100km+ winds). So ther it's sat till the last
couple of days. We scooped the snow out (again it looked completely empty)
and let the melted snow drain in to it. By Friday night it was almost full
but then Saturday morning it looked like it only had a few inches of water
in it. \ So out came the hose on Saturday and threw in the heater and
it's still holding water at the same level. Last night I see a couple of
orange bodies and figure I am going to be on scooping duty, I turned away
and looked again and they moved ~!~ Definitely tough lil' buggers!
Janet in Niagara Falls doing the Happy Fishie Dance! LOL!

Yup, Brampton here, and the fish have been enjoying our little version of
spring, all up at the surface looking for warmth, and probably some
munchies.

Any chance you want 30 or so baby goldfish? I gotta get rid of them come
pond cleaning time in April, lest they get sucked up accidently(many are
black) by the sump pump and/or vacuum, and my pond cannot support that

many
fish.

You just can't give theses thngs away!

Howard wrote:
I just uncovered my pond of the black liner I placed over it, over the
winter, checking up on it every 1 or 2 weeks to make sure a hole was
left open, a few times it had froze over and I opened a hole with
some hot water with a bubbler running all winter.

I happy to say that all my fish are down there moving around, slowly,
but moving, one of the smaller fish even came close to the surface
while I was adjusting the airline.

Toronto, Canada