Old 01-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Darren Garrison

Default ground cover that needs NO mowing?

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:58:59 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:55:40 -0500, Darren Garrison
wrote:

I want some sort of low ground cover that can be used over a whole yard where I do not have other
plants and does not need mowing at all. Oxalis ("false shamrock") looks promising, but descriptions
also say that it is "non-invasive", and I want something that WILL be invasive to my whole yard, to
the exclusion of "normal" grass. Anyone have any tips?

Select a groundcover that will grow well in your conditions, (rather
than one that you think looks good.)

But I don't know what will grow well in my conditions (zone 7, red clay soil). Which is why I'm
asking. Right now, the "lawn" area consists mostly of "weeds" that will reach multiple feet in
height if not mowed. I want something that will
1.) cover the soil which would be mud with each rain if not covered
2.) grow to only a few inches high
3.) take as close to zero maintainence as is likely to happen in the real world