Old 01-03-2004, 07:31 PM
gl

Default grasshoppers

Also in brisbane, and also have a grasshopper plague. Actually, we seem to
suffer with hordes of them all year. I can't even grow seedlings or most
vegies because they decimate them. Most info I've read on controlling
grasshoppers recommend encouraging grasshopper eating birds to come to your
garden. Still not sure on how to achieve that.
I haven't found systemic chemical sprays to be very effective... or at
least, they work temporarily until the next generation hatches from the
soil. I end up going around the garden every few days with a can of baygon,
and just spraying them with that. Once the numbers are reduced, you can go
around and whack any remaining ones with a thong. Time consuming, but as I
said - I haven't found any other decent remedy yet.

"Julie and Deb" wrote in message
u...
Hi all

I'm in Brisbane. At the moment it seems we have a heap of grasshoppers in
the garden, all merrily munching on my poor struggling little palm tree.

No
sooner does it sprout a new leaf and the little hoppers move in. Any
suggestions for getting rid of them? (short of a flame thrower, and yes,
I'm tempted!)

--
Julie and Deb
"The internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it