Old 01-03-2004, 08:34 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default NEIGHBORS STEREO destroys serenty of the garden

Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:11:47 GMT, wrote:

"starlord" starlord*inreach.com wrote:

heck I'd set up my own system and make sure it pointed towards him and
then put on some high class classical and make sure it was louder than
his and let it rip.

I have to agree. if you are unwilling to bitch to the police, or they are unwilling
to do anything, then you have little resort unless you want to do some sneaky shit
and make their life unbearable in the neighborhood.

Oh, yeah. If someone throws a rock at you, the "solution" is to throw
a bigger rock. There are *many* solutions to problems that don't
involve tit for tat.

But many of them assume a certain level of intelligence in the
"someone". People are largely ignorant and self-absorbed. Blasting
music is a right. F*** everyone else. It is a commonplace belief. To
"teach" them to be polite is something they should have learned when
they were 2 yrs old from their parents. Teaching adults and parents to
learn basics sometimes requires more than a conversation... which has
already occurred in this situation.

What seems left is mostly action, legal, political, retaliation
(sometimes people only learn from experiencing things first hand),
etc. Unless someone can provide examples of a kindler, gentler method.

You could erect high sound proof walls between properties- ordinances
may stop you, plus hurts sunlight into yard - but I think this is akin
to law-abiding putting jail-like bars on their windows so they feel
safe locked up in a prison of a house.

I once cranked up Mozart on my car radio (open
windows) to 'make a point' with the unwelcome music coming from an
adjacent car in a parking lot. Result: I don't really enjoy Mozart at
50 decibels; I risked/provoked confrontation with unknown people; they
didn't lower their volume (fortunately they didn't leap out of their
car and smash my windows), and AFAIK, I was the only one left feeling
a bit foolish. You don't "teach" people to be polite and accomodating
by matching or exceeding their rudeness.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener