Old 02-03-2004, 12:39 AM
John Savage

Default Planting seeds to grow seedless melons

"Dwayne" writes:
I have also been told (by an old melon grower) that if you take one of the
runners from a watermelon plant, and cover the first leaf with dirt near the
main stem, then after it has put down roots, cut the stem between the dirt
and main stem, the resulting melons will be seedless. One test of this thus
far have proved unsuccessful. I am going to try this again, when I get a
chance.

Amazing. But I think you would need a long growing season to test this, as
the rooted stem would set you back a few months. I wonder whether it would
work for pumpkins? :-]