Old 02-03-2004, 01:59 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] soil rumor

I have heard that the use of a finer sized soil will produce a
finer
twigging of branches and smaller leafing. While a soil that is

more coarse
will not really affect the leafing or branching but will

encourage a more
fibrous root system. Does anyone know which, if either, is

true?

There's probably a third option: Neither.

I suspect this ranks right up there with the bonsai myth that
soil with sharp particles will cause roots to divide when they
hit one of those razor-edged particles.

Soil with fine particles is likely to hold more water for longer
periods, which depending on your climate could be good or bad.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++