Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
andrewpreece

Default Leylandii hedges

"A Davis" wrote in message
Hello All

I've just bought 3 Leylandii hedges, & I am aware that they can grow as

big
as you let them.

But I wondered how far they should be planted away from my Pond, to ensure
that their roots don't interfere with the lining?

I had heard that a tree's roots reach out as wide as the tree, but I don't
know how this applies to hedges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards Al

I have a Leylandii hedge, and a Leylandii tree ( tree is completely brown
since the lack of
rain last year, and me altering the ground around it ) and have not come
across
any significant roots at shallow depths. For instance, I have dug down
around the
tree in a quadrant, at a distance of 2.5 feet and found nothing in the way
of thick
roots down to two feet in depth.

As for the hedge, I have dug down to a depth of 12" at a distance of
4.5 feet or
so from the line of trunks and found no evidence of roots at all. I dug out
a Leylandii
stump and found a few roots heading downwards and outwards, but the overall
impression I get is that the roots do not hug the surface ( substantial ones
anyway ).

As far as I can tell, unless someone here says different, you could
get away with
an 18" deep pond quite close to your hedge, possibly only 2 feet away if
you're feeling
lucky, or 4 feet to be on the safe side. Just my opinion,

Andy.