Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 AM
zxcvbob

Default Texas bluebonnets

junkyardcat wrote:

Texas is full of bluebonnets in the Summer, but I don't have one single
plant on my 11 acres Does anybody know where I can buy Bluebonnet plants,
either online or at a nursery? One year I found a plant at my local Target,
but I never find them anymore

I don't think the police would take too kindly to me digging up a bunch of
plants in the center median of Interstate 30, but I sure am tempted when I
see the thousands of plants growing along there, LOL!

Ideally, I would like to cover at least 1/2 an acre of my land in them.

Angie (who planted Azaleas, Calla Lilys, and Amaryllis today in the nice 70
degree weather....gotta LOVE Texas!)

Lupines (bluebonnets are a lupine that likes chalky alkaline soil) do not
transplant well; you really need to plant seeds. If you want to cover
20000+ square feet, you might want to contact the Ladybird Johnson
Wildflower Research Center [www.wildflower.org] to see where you can buy
scarified seeds by the pound. IIRC, you'll plant them in the fall. The
plants are annuals, but they should readily reseed.

Best regards,
Bob