Old 02-03-2004, 01:52 PM
escapee

Default Texas bluebonnets

I live in Texas much farther south than you and the time I plant my seeds is
July. It's when my bluebonnets are spitting out their seeds, naturally. I try
to gather all the pods when they are crispy and I shuck them all and right
before a rain or when I'm going to do a deep watering, I throw them out. They
germinate by August and remain in a rosette all winter.

People say the fall...that's not true. You plant seeds of plants when they
would naturally be dropping their seeds and for bluebonnets, that is July in the
whole of the state of Texas.

I have no idea where you'd buy plants because I have no idea where you live. If
you live in the Hill Country near Austin, they sell bluebonnet plants
everywhere, including Home Depot or Lowes.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:43:02 -0600, "junkyardcat"
opined:

Texas is full of bluebonnets in the Summer, but I don't have one single
plant on my 11 acres Does anybody know where I can buy Bluebonnet plants,
either online or at a nursery? One year I found a plant at my local Target,
but I never find them anymore

I don't think the police would take too kindly to me digging up a bunch of
plants in the center median of Interstate 30, but I sure am tempted when I
see the thousands of plants growing along there, LOL!

Ideally, I would like to cover at least 1/2 an acre of my land in them.

Angie (who planted Azaleas, Calla Lilys, and Amaryllis today in the nice 70
degree weather....gotta LOVE Texas!)