Old 02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Schatzi Sarceno

Default [IBC] Leaves emitting sticky substance (Fujian Tea)

Hi there, Gary,

First- whether you call it a "fujian tea" or a "fukien tea" (both are correct), it's the same tree. I have three of them, and adore them to pieces However, over the course of the past year, I had the same exact problem with two of them. My advice is first-
check for scale- that was my problem. You can pretty much hand remove the bigger ones from the leaves and branches. To eliminate them though, I have to tell you that Carl Rosner's soap solution works fantastic! I have been using it for quite a while on al
l my trees not just my fukien (fujian) teas, and it has always controlled all my pest problems without dumping all those nasty chemicals into my little ones' systems. That sticky sappy stuff was coming from the scale bugs, and after using the spray a few t
imes, all is back to normal once again. But you have to keep on checking them. Even with that scale problem, my fukien teas looked wonderfully heathy- green as can be and growing like crazy- just so blasted sticky and messy!

Good luck!

Schatzi Sarceno- SW Connecticut- zone 6ish-
In beautiful Connecticut- where if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes- it WILL change!