Old 02-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] soil rumor + Drainage Layer + other off-the-wall Bonsai Today articles

How many of you were astonished to read a 4page article on the
importance of the drainage layer in Bonsai Today 88? I thought

this one
was well and truly refuted.

Not in Japan, where tradition reigns.

And let's face it; the difference between layered soil and
homogenous soil is probably slight. We westerners don't like to
do all the extra sieving, so we develop a "scientific" rational
that allows us to not do it. And while the scientific rational
is legitimate, it prolly doesn't matter much unless you live in
an area like I do where wet-and-humid is the order of the day.

The "technique" that has boggled MY mind is in BT 89, where
someone recommends drilling a hole into the trunk and applying
fertilizers directly to the vascular system. (!!!) Pesticides,

Can someone who is REALLY up on tree physiology comment?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++