Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
escapee

Default Apple Trees

Well, all apple trees have the possibility of fruiting without another tree, but
it will be sparse. You won't get any fruit for about 5 years, anyway. Granny
Smith is a good one to use with a your tree, but Mollies Delicious would have
been my choice for this far south. Apple trees need chill hours and 400 chill
hours is about what Texas gets...IF that.

You have nothing to lose by trying it. OR buy a neighbor a tree and plant in
their yard. You will both have apples.

victoria

On 1 Mar 2004 15:42:41 -0800, (Art Vega) opined:

I live in the DFW area and got a Red Delicious Apple Tree.
The sticker it had said "Self-Pollinator", nevertheless, I found out
in the web that a cross pollinator is recomended. My problem is
that I have room in my back yard for only one more tree.

Do you have experience with this tree?

How much is the production of the tree reduced if
I don't have another tree as pollinator?

Should I exchange it for another tree like a Golden Delicious?

Thanks for your help,
Art