Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Bio-filter startup time?

"O3raledale" wrote in message
Hello All,
Last winter I took the advice of the wise ones here at Rec ponds and shut

down
my waterfalls and bio-filter. (Phila. Pa. area) I then installed an air

pump
with two airstones blowing air into the pond all winter. Well it worked

very
well and the little fishies are still alive and swimming all around the

pond.
Question is when is it safe to set the bio-filter back up and get the

falls and
stream flowing again? And what other precautions should I take when doing

so?
Thanks for all of your help,

I've been reading all of the responses to this post, and I began to wonder.
Over the next few weeks as things warm up, why not do water changes on my
indoor 55 gallon tank, and dump the water into the pond instead of the
drain? My tank has no disease that I am aware of, so I see this as
relatively safe...and it seems to me, I'd be moving some fresh strong bio
matter to the pond. Any thoughts?

BV.