Old 02-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default citrus questions

The message
from contains these words:

I am not sure if mine have grafts either. Are citrus plants grafted or
not? Some posts here seem to suggest they are (like the orange that
grew a lemon) but other posts seem to contradict this. I looked at a
grapefruit in the garden centre and compared it with the leaves
growing on mine and the leaves seem the same. The leaves are almost
like two leaves in one: a figure 8 shape if you like. There is a small
leaf at the stem end out of which grows a much bigger leaf. So I am
hoping the leaves are of the same variety, which would imply no
grafting. If I am lucky enough to get fruit, may be then I will find
out.

A lot of citrus leaves are as you describe. I had some lime seedlings
with leaves like that, but none of last year's lemon ones is similar.

The type of fruit can usually be deduced by the flavour of the leaf. (I
'mislaid' a satsuma seedling amongst the lemons, and thought I'd found
it because its leaves were rounded at the ends rather than pointed. One
taste of a bit of leaf confirmed that I had found it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/